Joining the HPBAC
Becoming a member of HPBAC is easy and offers many benefits.
We will support your business by providing options to minimize your operating costs and granting you access to education and communication programs. We will advocate on your behalf to local and federal government and other organizations, keeping you updated on threats and opportunities that may affect you. We welcome you to join a strong network of industry members and thank you for your support!
Membership dues can be paid as one fee or as monthly installments to suit your needs. Membership renewals are distributed on a yearly basis in the late fall. By completing the form below, a membership application for your region will be emailed to you. A representative from HPBAC will contact you in follow up to answer any questions you might have. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us!
To view all the ways an HPBAC membership can benefit you, please view the Member Benefits section below.
HPBAC WORKS FOR YOU
It is difficult to put a dollar value on some of the work the association does for the industry. We like to call it priceless.
Government Affairs & Advocacy
- Protection against unfair regulation
- Involvement in codes and standards
- Updates on upcoming opportunities and threats
- Support with local advocacy issues, including burn bans or unfair bylaws
Communications & Public Relations
- Website and social media interaction
- HPBAC The Voice Newsletter
- Bulletins and press releases
- Annual Report
- Membership Kit
- Access to useful resources and educational information
- Market research and industry statistics
Education & Training Programs
- In-class training
- Online training programs and special discounts on HPBAC select webinars
- Free webinars on important topics including issues related to running your business
- EXPO Education schedule
- HPB Education Foundation Manuals
- At EXPO
- At regional events
- Local and national networking opportunities
- Local and national fellowship
Regional Events & Meetings
- Up to five free badges to EXPO – Save up to $375
- Yearly regional events and socials
Free Magazine Subscriptions
- Hearth & Home – Value $120 US
- Canadian Homes & Cottages – Value $17.90
- Patio and Hearth Products Review
Member Savings Programs
Did you know that you have exclusive access to discounts on products and services you use every day just by being a member of HPBAC? HPBAC has partnered with savings4members to provide you discounts on fuel cards, credit card processing, office supplies, shipping and more! Each vendor is carefully selected for unmatched value, savings, and unbeatable customer service.
Esso Gasoline, Diesel, Service Stations & Fuel Cards
Earn rebates at Canada’s largest retail network with more than 1,800 stations.
The Esso Business Card Program gives you exceptional fuel savings and their easy-to-use fuel online portal helps you reduce and eliminate unwanted driver spending to drive more money to your bottom line. The online portal also makes it easy to pay bills, manage cards and track expenses. Plus, reward your employees and yourself with the Esso Extra™ and Aeroplan® programs.
- Save 6 cents for a limited time, then save 3.4 cents per litre
Withey Insurance Brokers
Official suppliers of Errors & Omissions Insurance for WETT Inspection Services in Canada
In partnership with HPBAC, we offer the most comprehensive coverage available, including Inspection Services Liability (Errors & Omissions $1,000,000 to $2,000,000). This is also available as a separate policy with premiums starting at $1,000.
Did you know that under Commerial General Liability coverage there is an exclusion specific to the inspection service you provide? The wording in the policy under ‘Common Exclusions’ states that “This inusrance does not apply to: 1.a (6) the preparation of approval of maps, drawings, plans, opinions, reports, surveys, change orders, designs or specifications (7) Supervisory, inspection, architectural or engineering services.”
- The most competitive pricing coverage available with significant savings and improved coverage
- Free Legal Assist hotline
- Accident & Sickness Insurance coverage
Global Payments Credit Card Processing
Accept Visa®, Visa Debit, Mastercard®, INTERAC® Debit, American Express, JCB, Discover®, Diner’s Club and UnionPay® cards in a streamlined manner with our POS systems, online and mobile payment solutions.
Global Payments is the largest publicly-tradedbank neutral, payments-focused acquirer in Canada, and has been a strong advocate for their clients for over 45 years.
- Fully transparent pricing – cost plus pricing
- Waived fees – no setup, monthly, PCI or hidden fees
- Month-to-month contract – leave with no penalty
- Locked fees – no “bait-and-switch” pricing
- Extensive product suite with industry specific solutions
- 24/7 multi-lingual support plus 4 hour onsite support
Staples Business Advantage Office Supplies
Get the most out of your exclusive program through Staples Business Advantage. You’ll get great perks plus you’ll save time and money when you order everything from one place. Your members-only pricing is completely customizable to help you save on your most commonly purchased items
- Save at least 5% on more than 140,000 products
- Deep discounts on your favourite’s list of 800 items
- Save 20% on paper, ink and toner
- Free shipping on orders of $50 or more
Constant Contact Email Marketing
Whether it’s creating an email marketing campaign, building an awesome website, running Google Ads to get more site traffic, or finding new customers on social media, Constant Contact has all the tools, features, and expert guidance you need to succeed.
Explore the features and benefits of the Email Marketing or Online Survey tools with a free 60-day trial. There’s no software to download. No risk. No obligation. No credit card required.
- 20% off 6 months prepaid
- 25% off 12 months prepaid
- Manage contacts and grow your email list
- Customizable templates with drag-and-drop editing
- Social media integration and real-time reporting
Choice Privileges Rewards Program
HPBAC has teamed up with Choice Hotels® to make Business & Leisure travel a little more enjoyable and convenient. Choice Privileges is free and easy to join, gives you access to members-only rates, and offers many ways for you to earn rewards, free nights and more. New enrolments receive 1,000 points!
- Enjoy rewards beginning with your very first stay. Stay weekdays for extra perks like coffee cards and online shopping credits.
- Use your points your way, with reward options like free nights, gift cards, experiences and more. Plus, points never expire.
- Save with member-only rates and exclusive offers. Elite members also receive bonus points or welcome gifts with every stay.
UniFirst Workwear & Facility Services
Rental Program: Your choice of clothing, plus weekly pick-up water-wash and delivery services
Lease Program: The rental program without the weekly water-wash service.
Facility Services: On a regular schedule UniFirst will visit your place of business to pick up soiled floor mats, mops, and wiping products and replace them with fresh hygienically clean ones. UniFirst can also restock your restroom supplies with hand soaps, sanitizers, paper towels, sanitary tissue and air fresheners.
- Up to 40% off uniform and floor mat purchases and rentals
- Pressing, repairs, size exchanges, and automatic garment replacement due to normal wear and tear
- Negotiated lost/damage charges
United Tranz Actions Check Guarantee
Eliminate the fear of accepting checks and the burden of check collections forever. With UTA, the leading check guarantee company in America, if your customers checks bounce, we will reimburse you IN FULL and will assume the tedious and difficult check collections process, not you.
- No start-up fees or monthly minimums
- Highest floor limits with automatic approvals
- Electronic authorization program with instant check approval
- Cost effective FLAT RATE programs
- Direct Debit and Hold Check programs
- COD/Mail order program
- Works with your current banking relationship
- Live knowledgeable reps to assist you 24/7
UPS Small Parcel & Freight Shipping
UPS is committed to providing value that goes beyond cost and on-time delivery with customized solutions and reliable services for shipping, tracking and billing to help you drive greater efficiencies and streamline internal processes.
The UPS Members Benefit Program is free to join and there are no minimum shipping requirements. You can take advantage of the following discounts with a new or existing UPS account.
- 40% off shipments within Canada, amd to the US and worldwide destinations
- 25% off imports into Canada
- Savings start at 75% off heavyweight, LTL (Less-than-Truckload) shipments of 150lbs. or more
- 20% off brokerage entry preparation fees
- Free Automatic Daily Pickup (weekly service charge waived), UPS On-Call Pickup® and Freight Collect 3rd Party Service (surcharge waived)
Contact 1:1 Marketing Designs & Expertise
Hire an advertising agency that specializes in the HPB industry and enjoy access to a designated graphic designer and experienced marketing account manager working to keep your advertising efforts consistent and professional, while you run the rest of your business.
- 50% discount ($49/month instead of $99)
- Off-the-shelf, turn-key marketing materials
- Data & information and business resources
- Both online and traditional programs customized to the industry
Lamprey Systems Small Package Auditing
Lamprey Systems tracks and monitors all FedEx/UPS ground, air and international shipments, disputing all service failures and incorrect charges on your behalf.
- Save per package with 100% credit for late shipments
- Immediately start receiving weekly shipment reports and audit details by account
- Get a no cost evaluation of your current contract and rates
- No risk, no obligation – no long term contracts, shipping minimums, software fees or any other additional charges
APPLICATION FORMS BY CATEGORY
Please fill out applicable form and return to by
Mail: HPBA Canada, PO Box 5432, Huntsville, ON P1H 2K8
Any business engaged in the sale to consumers of hearth, patio or barbecue related products. Retailers with more than one location must join at the higher dues level. Any retailer with more than one location under the same ownership structure may add these locations as members for the stated fee to receive all membership benefits.
Individuals and companies engaged in providing mechanical services relating to hearth, patio or barbecue related products with no more than 2 people working in the business and less than $100,000 in sales. Retailers do not qualify.
Companies engaged in the wholesale distribution to dealers or builders or other channels of distribution of hearth, patio or barbecue related products. Any distributor with more than one location under the same ownership structure may add these locations as members for the stated fee to receive all membership benefits.
Companies or individuals, who are not employees of a manufacturer, engaged in providing independent sales representation for manufacturers of hearth, patio or barbecue related products.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why would I be concerned about government regulation?
Regulation that affects your business could be introduced at any level of government. Sometimes this is positive, such as incentives to homeowners to upgrade to a more efficient appliance. You will want to be informed of these opportunities as they arise. Government usually communicates to an industry through its trade association and the association is in contact with the government in order to keep you informed. The association also advocates for these programs on behalf of industry. Often regulation can have a negative effect by limiting and sometimes eliminating the products you sell. This can happen through municipal bylaws such as burn bylaws. HPBAC will help you fight unfair regulation and will advocate the benefits of your products to government.
Why would I attend EXPO?
EXPO features the biggest selection of hearth, patio and barbecue products under one roof. You’ll want to see all of the exciting new products available, meet with your suppliers and look for new products. It’s important to keep your store current and fresh to keep customers coming back and to draw in new customers. EXPO also offers a great selection of sales, marketing and business management education sessions and technical training. It’s a great opportunity to network with other industry members. HPBAC hosts an information meeting called Focus Canada and a Canadian Reception at EXPO each year. Focus Canada is a good opportunity to join Canadian industry members for updates and a chance to discuss issues that concern you. The Canadian Reception is attended by over 250 people each year and is always a lot of fun. You’ll meet people from all over and have a chance to network in a relaxed environment.
What other events does HPBAC hold?
We host regional Education Days and local meetings with a range of topics. In the past as part of our Building Your Business series we’ve offered The Art of Selling, Professional Service is Profitable and The Changing Retail Environment as well as Barbecue Education Days. HPBAC also supports the ongoing development of industry-specific training courses.
How can membership save me money?
HPBAC membership saves you the cost of EXPO passes. If two members of your staff attend EXPO that’s already a $150 US savings on passes. Members always receive preferred rates for HPBAC and HPBA programs and events. You can also save through our Affinity Programs, including our competitively priced and comprehensive Business Insurance Program, and through discount programs such as Choice Hotels and Hertz Car Rentals. Our Mystery Shopping program gives you a comprehensive report on your store’s performance with customers at the very reasonable cost.
How does HPBAC keep members informed?
HPBAC publishes an e-newsletter, usually every month, that includes updates on association activities, government relations issues, industry news and notices about information that is available to members, such as market research results and articles in the media.
In addition to the above we often send out bulletins when an important issue comes up so you are always up to date.
Our website contains information for members and homeowners on products, events, resources and safety tips and a Search function so homeowners and members can find members. HPBA’s website is also full of great resources for members, including press releases, market research, product fact sheets and much more.
How does HPBAC promote the industry?
Both HPBA and HPBAC act as a resource for media and the public. We receive more and more enquiries from the media on issues relating to hearth, patio and barbecue products. Press releases are issued regularly on topical issues such as “Are you Prepared for a Power Outage”, “Consumer Survey Indicates Fireplaces and Stoves Play Key Role in Selling Homes” and “Consumers Prefer to Stay Home to Cook Out”.
There are many Barbecue, Outdoor Room and Hearth product fact sheets available on the HPBA website for members to use in their stores. These fact sheets contain great information on your products and how to use them.
We have also worked with government to develop programs such as EnerChoice which identifies the 25% most efficient gas hearth appliances and the Burn it Smart program across Canada which was adopted by the US EPA into their Burn Wise program. HPBAC also consults on publications such as The Guide to Residential Wood Heating — a popular guide published by Natural Resources Canada, along with various other publications relating to hearth products.
Along with all of our communication and outreach efforts, including the HPBAC Consumer eBook, HPBA’s BBQ & Hearth Social Media Campaigns, our Press Release series and our website, HPBAC has become much more involved in advocacy and lobbying efforts to municipal, provincial, and the federal governments. We are continuously fighting for your rights to sell the products you sell, and working with the government to fund projects, like Woodstove Changeout Programs, to not only promote the sale of products, but also to demonstrate the benefits of the products our members sell.
How many members does HPBAC have?
HPBAC currently has close to 500 members across Canada. Many of your competitors are already members, taking advantage of the savings and resources we offer. We’d like to make the association even stronger, giving us a stronger voice with government and the ability to increase our public relations efforts and continue to improve our member benefits.
What do I have to do as a member?
You can become involved in the association by joining an HPBAC committee including a regional committees, participating in a task force or you can just enjoy the benefits of membership without volunteering. It’s up to you how involved you become, but volunteering provides many advantages to members. To learn more about volunteering, please visit the Volunteers section on the Committees page.
Have a question or just want to say hello? Drop us a line and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.